WordPress.Org is the most popular website builder in the world. This Web Design course takes you through the basics and covers all the useful features including how to use the fundamental tools. At the start of course, the tutor shows you how to obtain a website address (domain name) and install WordPress locally so that you’re ready to build a WordPress website that will work on different devices. You’ll add pages to your website and set up a blog/news page. We’ll then move onto inserting and editing content such as text, images and videos. It’s important to ensure your website is found by Google searches and that you understand how to build and change your website so it ranks well in Google and other search engines. Therefore this course is also an introduction to search engine optimisation techniques as well as how to add social media to your website. This beginners WordPress.org course is taught in small groups and you do not require any prior knowledge of WordPress to attend this course. If you are not entitled to a reduced fee but are finding it difficult to pay for your course in one go, we can offer a Staged Payment Agreement to split the costs into three payments if your course(s) costs £200 or more. Please talk to a member of enrolment staff about how your payments would be structured. You are liable for all payments under this agreement, even if you stop attending your class.
By the end of the course you will be able to:
- Install, set up and update WordPress locally.
- Introduce key concepts of writing for the web and make the site search-engine friendly.
- Add webpages, blog posts, images, maps and videos, install widgets and plugins.
- Customise attractive design templates ensuring a responsive, mobile friendly design.
- Introduce you to basic website coding.
- Add contact forms, maps, online shopping and payment methods.
- Add social networking, track visitors and prevent spam.
- Introduce the selection and registration of a domain name and website hosting service.
- Know how to transfer your completed website from your local computer to a hosting environment.