An exciting new online course! There is no longer the need for expensive, cumbersome equipment to shoot good film. Everyone with a Smartphone or Digital SLR Camera already has access to an HD video camera. Furthermore, many well-known filmmakers are now using Smartphone devices to make their own short movies, including ‘Sin City’ director Robert Rodriguez. There is even a channel on YouTube dedicated to this medium. This practical course teaches you how to plan, shoot, edit and launch a short film using a Smartphone or DSLR as your main video camera. You will learn how to professionally plan your idea, compose and shoot HD quality footage, then edit the sequence to produce a finished film, ready to launch to your worldwide audience! As a student of Morley College you are also entitled to a discount on Adobe CC Software. Your tutor can advise you on how to apply for this.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Use online video conferencing to receive instructions, show work, download material and take part in discussions
- Know about filmmaking models and approaches
- Plan a film using storyboarding and other pre-production techniques
- Understand the type of shots you need to tell your story
- Shoot professional-looking footage with your smartphone
- Edit your footage into a sequence
Below is a short film by Chris White. A project made as part of the ‘Smartphone Movie-Making’ course at Morley College.