Everyone has a story to tell. Do you enjoy shooting footage on your camera or smartphone and find yourself documenting your world and the people in it? This course will provide an overview of documentary film history, filming techniques, and the essential skills to enable you to produce a short documentary. You will learn basic camera techniques (e.g. aperture, ISO, and shutter speed) framing, composition, and how to develop a narrative structure, as well as work with sound to record interviews.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Learn a brief history of the genre, examine the structure of different types of documentary film.
- Understand what makes a “cinematic shot” using composition skills and depth of field, and how these can add production values to your work.
- Learn how to make editorial decisions and how to create a natural but impactful narrative.
- Gain an understanding of shooting techniques by using video cameras and interviewing subjects using sound equipment.
- Learn introductory recording of sound techniques
- Learn the principles of editing footage to create a narrative